Mr. Sunil Mehta is the Chief Executive of Indian Banks' Association (IBA) which acts as a representative of over 248 member banks and associate members operating in India and plays a collaborative role between banks, regulators and government in improving customer service with a focus on digital banking. Prior to this Mr. Sunil Mehta served
Mr. Sunil Mehta is the Chief Executive of Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) which acts as a representative of over 248 member banks and associate members operating in India and plays a collaborative role between banks, regulators and government in improving customer service with a focus on digital banking. Prior to this Mr. Sunil Mehta served as the MD & CEO of Punjab National Bank. He is a seasoned banker with over 37 years of rich experience.
He holds Master’s degree in Agronomy, MBA in Finance and is a Certified Associate of Indian Institute of Bankers (CAIIB). He started his banking career as an Agriculture Field Officer at Allahabad Bank in 1982. Prior to assuming the position of MD & CEO, PNB, he was Executive Director of Corporation Bank.
During the course of his career, he held various important positions in view of his expertise in agriculture, retail, credit and planning & development. He was a member of Govt. of India delegation to Israel in the year 2000 for study of Developmental Model of Hi-tech Agriculture for exploring its implementation in India. He has also attended Management Development Programme at IIM, Kolkata and participated in a seminar on Economic Challenges being faced by developing Economics at Istanbul, Turkey. For his exceptional leadership skills and transformational initiatives, Mr. Sunil Mehta was awarded with “Top Rankers Excellence Award for Entrepreneurial Path Breaker” at 20th National Management Summit organized by Top Rankers Management Club, Delhi in the year 2019.
Mr. Sunil Mehta is also a part of various Committees representing IBA. Following are some of the prominent Committees formed by RBI / Government where Mr Sunil Mehta plays an active role:
- Member Secretary in Expert Committee for Resolution Framework for COVID-19 related Stress, RBI
- Member to the Advisory Council (AC) of the Payments Infrastructure Development Fund (PIDF), RBI
- Member on Financial Inclusion Advisory Committee (FIAC), Standing Advisory Committee on flow of Institutional Credit to MSME sector and Standing Advisory Committee for Urban Co-operative Banks, RBI
- Committee for Analysis of QR (Quick Response) Code, RBI
- Management Committee member of Emergency Credit Linked Guarantee Scheme (ECLGS), NCGTS
- Member on Committee to review cases under Section 7 of IBC, 2016
- Sub-committee Member of Insolvency Law Committee to propose a detailed scheme for implementing prepack and prearranged insolvency resolution process.
- Trustee on the Board of Trustee of SASF
- Member on the Pension Advisory Committee, The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA)
During his incumbency as MD & CEO of PNB, the Bank has won several prestigious awards and accolades:-
- “Best Performing Bank” among all PSBs under EASE by Government of India. PNB received recognition in four out of the six key themes envisioned under EASE i.e., Customer Responsiveness (Winner), Responsible Banking (Winner), Credit Off-take (Winner) and Deepening Financial Inclusion & Digitalization (Runner Up).
- “Best in Financial Inclusion” for the year 2019 by Business Today and KPMG.
- “Best Performer in Account Growth Rate (Top Depository Participant) and Top Performer in New Accounts opened (Bank Category)” for the year 2018 by NSDL Delhi.
- “IBA Banking Technology Awards” for the year 2019 under the category of “Most Customer Centric Bank using Technology” (Runners Up).
- “Rajbhasha Kirti Shield” for implementation of Official Language Policy in Bank for FY’2017-18 under the category of Nationalized Banks and Financial Institutions in Region ‘A’.
- “Best Performing Public Sector Bank” (2nd Rank) in terms of Aadhaar Generation and Update by Unique Identification Authority of India, Government of India.
Mr. Sunil Mehta has also served undernoted organisations:
- Chairman, Indian Bank’s Association (IBA)
- Chairperson, SWIFT User Group, India
- Director, National Credit Guarantee Trustee Co. Ltd.
- Chairman, PNB Housing Finance Limited
- Chairman, PNB Gilts Limited
- Chairman, PNB Investment Services Limited
- Chairman, Punjab National Bank International Limited (UK)
- Director, India Infrastructure Finance Company Ltd
- Non-Executive Director, PNB Metlife India Insurance Company Limited
- Director, Corpbank Securities Limited
- Member, Indian Institute of Bank Management, Guwahati
- Member (Ex-Officio) on the Board of Trustee of Credit Guarantee Fund Trust for Micro And Small Enterprises (CGTMSE)
- Member on Board of Trustee of Credit Risk Guarantee Fund Scheme (CRGFTLIH)
- Member on Governing Board of Indian Institute of Bank Management (IIBM) Guwahati
- He was also a member of the Insolvency Law Committee (ILC), a standing committee constituted under the aegis of Ministry of Corporate Affairs and member of the Advisory Committee on Corporate Insolvency and Liquidation, IBBI, New Delhi