As of the end of August 2013, over 70 participants from APRACA member institutions signed up for the 4th World Congress on Agricultural and Rural Finance to be held on 26-28 September 2013 in Paris, France. The Congress at the Le Meridien Etoile Hotel near the Arc de Triomphe, central part of Paris, has two-day sessions
As of the end of August 2013, over 70 participants from APRACA member institutions signed up for the 4th World Congress on Agricultural and Rural Finance to be held on 26-28 September 2013 in Paris, France. The Congress at the Le Meridien Etoile Hotel near the Arc de Triomphe, central part of Paris, has two-day sessions starting with the speeches by the world famous celebrities including Mr. Graziano da Silva, Director General of UN-FAO, Mr. Michel Dantin, Member of the European Parliament, and Mr. Stephane Le Foll, French Minister of Agriculture, Agrifood and Forestry. There is an one-day excursion trip to Chateau de Fontainbleau organized on 28 September.
APRACA’s 63rd Executive Committee Meeting is organized
The 63rd Executive Committee Meeting of APRACA will be held at Corot Meeting Room, Le Meridien Etoile Hotel in Paris, France at 2:30 pm on 27 September 2013. The Committee is scheduled to discuss 10 Agenda items during the meeting. Since the Executive Committee Meeting is held in conjunction with the 4th World Congress, APRACA expects that many delegates from APRACA member institutions join the meeting as observers.
APRACA attended the Agrifin ‘s Financing Agriculture Forum 2013
APRACA Secretary General attended the Financing Agriculture Forum 2013 held on 19-23 August 2013 in Colombo, Sri Lanka. The Forum, with the participation of over 130 delegates from 25 countries in all six continents, was organized by the AgriFin, an initiative sponsored by the Melinda and Bill Gates Foundation and managed by the World Bank.
The Forum was designed as a technical conference, geared to bankers and other senior financial industry professionals interested in lending to the agriculture sector. In order to facilitate this, the presenters and professionals shared knowledge about innovative products and processes which had proven effective in increasing access to credit for small holders.
APRACA participates in Organizing the 2013 Partnerships against Poverty Summit
APRACA has collaborated with the Microcredit Summit Campaign in organizing the 2013 Partnerships against Poverty Summit to be held on 9-11 October 2013 in Manila, Philippines. APRACA Secretariat is organizing two sessions of the Summit. The 90 minute session titled “Rural and Agricultural Finance: Partnerships in Poverty Alleviation and Sustainable Development” will be held from 11 am on 10 October 2013. A total of five speakers from Asia, Africa, and Europe have been invited to the session. Another session with breakfast will be held at 8 am on 10 October for an hour with four speakers being invited from APRACA member institutions.
APRACA Secretary General visited Member Institutions in Sri Lanka
The Secretary General visited five member institutions and one prospective member institutions in Sri Lanka on 21-22 August 2013, taking advantage of the opportunity to attend Agrifin Financing Agriculture Forum held in Colombo, Sri Lanka. During his visit, the Secretary General met with the CEOs and high level officers of the banks and discussed mutual concerns between APRACA and member banks. Main issues discussed at each bank were as follows:
- Central Bank of Sri Lanka: The Secretary General met with Mr. Ajith Nivard Cabraal, the Governor and Mr. M J S Abeysinghe, Director of Regional Development Department. The Secretary General expressed thanks to the Governor about the active support to APRACA in increasing APRACA membership in Sri Lanka. The Governor mentioned that the Central Bank had sent and would send many participants to APRACA training courses.
- Bank of Ceylon:The Secretary General met with Mr. Razik Zarook , Chairman, Mr. D M Gunasekara, General Manager, and Mr. Senarath Bandara, Deputy General Manager. The Secretary General informed them of the preparation of the World Congress and the Executive Committee meeting in September in Paris, France. Mr. Gunasekara gave suggestions to the Secretary General on the reform of APRACA Secretariat.
- People’s Bank: The Secretary General met with Mr. N. Vasantha Kumar, CEO & General Manager, Mr. T.A. Ariyapala, Deputy General Manager, and Mr. Wickrama Narayana, Chief Manager. The Secretary General expressed his appreciation to the bank Executives for supporting APRACA activities including the membership increase plan. The CEO and Officers were interested in joining APRACA’s diverse activities. Mr. T.A. Ariyapala proposed that the Secretary General invite the Regional Development Bank to APRACA membership.
- National Development Bank: The Secretary General met with Mr. Hemaka Amarasuriya, Chairman, and Mr. Rajendra Theagarajah, Director. The Secretary General expressed his appreciation to the Bank for joining APRACA recently as a member. He informed them of the future activity plan of APRACA. The Chairman responded that he would attend APRACA activities as much as possible.
- Seylan Bank: The Secretary General met with Mr. R. Nadarajah, Executive Director. The Secretary General expressed regret about the submission of the bank’s membership withdrawal letter to APRACA in January 2013 and requested the Executive Director to reconsider to continue its membership in APRACA. Mr. Nadarajah promised to request the Management to discuss the APRACA membership withdrawal policy of the bank again.
- Regional Development Bank: The Secretary General met with Mr. R. Siriwardhane, General Manager &CEO, and Mr. Ajith Alahakoon, Deputy General Manager. The Secretary General introduced to them the organization and activities of APRACA. Mr. R. Siriwardhane promised to join APRACA upon obtaining the approval of the Board meeting of the bank soon.